Chicory is a ground root that can be used to enhance your coffee or brewed alone for a caffeine-free drink served either hot or cold. A coffee columnist at Serious Eats describes hot, brewed chicory as having a “strong, sweet-and-sour chestnuttiness to it, with a very slick and nectar-like body, and an incredibly long aftertaste,” and notes that chicory-enhanced coffee has?a finish with “a really lovely aromatic-wood quality to it, like warm cedar.”
To blend chicory with your coffee follow these simple steps:
- Measure out half as much coffee as you normally use.
- Add half that amount in chicory (e.g. if, after halving your coffee, you are now using a single tablespoon of grounds, use half a tablespoon of the chicory.)
- Brew as usual (with the same amount of water you normally use.)
(Don’t want to blend it yourself? Our French Quarter Brew coffee comes with chicory already mixed in for a truly New Orleans-style cup.)
To make a hot chicory-only drink:
- Measure out 2-3 tablespoons of chicory per cup (adjust to your taste preferences.)
- Brew in your coffeemaker machine.
- Add sugar, honey, milk or cream as desired.
Ground chicory can also be used to make chicory extract (good for flavoring puddings and desserts) or chicory milk (a drink served hot or cold.)